During my winter trip to Lucerne I stayed in the four-star superior hotel Art Deco Montana, located on a small hillside in the centre of the city. The world’s shortest funicular railway can take you from the lakeside promenade directly to the hotel lobby in just 60 seconds.
Art Deco Montana, built in 1910, is a member of Small Luxury Hotels of the World and has a lot to offer its guests. Let me share some of the highlights I had the pleasure to discover in the hotel:
- Amazing views of the whole city, including the old city and the famous Chapel Bridge, Lake Lucerne and of course the Alps! I spent a lot of time on the balcony, admiring the wintery terrace with fir trees covered with snow and the evening city lights.
- Dinner in the Scala Restaurant (which boasts 15 GaultMillau points) with seasonal ingredients, in-house prepared pasta dishes, sauces and very delicious desserts. I was also allowed a sneak peek into the kitchen and learned from chef Johan Breedijk about the hotel’s KitchenClub concept, where everyone can take part in the culinary experience, sitting at the table right inside the restaurant kitchen, tasting, listening to and watching the creation of gourmet cuisine.
- Louis Bar with its selection of more than 130 single malts and numerous rarities. Every Thursday, musicians and jazz fans meet there for a top-class jam session.
- The art deco style of the hotel can be seen all over the house in its geometric forms, ornamentation and contrasting materials.
- The Hemingway Rum Lounge has 60 kinds of rum, offering the largest variety of rum in Switzerland. Enjoying a fine glass of rum can certainly be combined with an exquisite cigar.
ART DECO HOTEL MONTANA
Adligenswilerstrasse 22, P.O. Box 3039 CH-6002 Lucerne
Phone: +41 41 419 00 00