Let me share with you a short weekend trip I had recently to beautiful Vienna.
I think it makes a perfect weekend getaway from Zurich and is a bit more than an hour’s flight away. Here is what I would suggest to see and visit:
- Gothic cathedral Stephansdom. Be sure to take the stairs or an elevator to enjoy the best city views from one of the towers.
- The former imperial premises – Hofburg at the Heledenplatz. There you can discover the Sisi museum and the Silberkammer and Imperial Apartments.
- Rathaus – the city hall of Vienna, a gorgeous building in neo-gothic style. Many events take place here throughout the year.
- Graben and Kärntner Strasse – the most popular shopping streets in Vienna.
- The famous Viennese coffee-house Sacher Cafe – here you should definitely try the Sacher cake. The décor of the place is very glamorous J
- The sausage stand “Bitzinger” – here you can taste very traditional Austrian street food – Käsekrainer (loved it with fresh grated horseradish).
- Vienna State Opera of course.
I stayed just a few minutes away from Stephansdom, at the design boutique hotel Lamée that impressed me by its exceptional 1930s Viennese modernism style, perfect location, one of the best rooftop cafes in town and delicious seasonal homemade breakfast. I enjoyed the marble furnishing, Makassar wooden veneers and the sunshine on my spacious terrace from which the Stephansdom could be seen. Their rooftop bar is very beautiful and relaxing and offers an amazing view on the whole old town of Vienna.
Hotel photos credit: b_spurs_photo