In just a one and a half hour flight from Zurich you can find yourself in the middle of the vibrant city of London, which has so much to offer even for a short two-day trip. Endless shopping, art, entertainment and cultural wishes can be fulfilled in this powerful global city.
Here are some ideas for a weekend gateway in the English capital:
- Green Park – Full of squirrels, birds and amazingly large trees.
- Exhibition in the public art gallery at Buckingham Palace – The Queen’s Gallery displays amazing works of art from the collection of the royal family.
- Afternoon Tea experience – I enjoyed the typical British tea ceremony with warm scones, sandwiches and pastries in the café-restaurant The Wolseley in Mayfair.
- Museums – There are so many of them and they are all free! One of the most impressive to my opinion: The National Gallery, Victoria and Albert Museum, Natural History Museum, Tate Modern.
- Shopping on Regent Street and Bond Streets, or in the famous Harrods department store.
- Guided tour in the Houses of Parliament – A very insightful and interesting tour in the government building otherwise closed to the public visits.
- London Eye – The observation Wheel on the bank of the River Thames.
I stayed in the five star boutique St. James’s Hotel and Club in London’s finest stylish residential area -Mayfair district – just few steps away from Green Park, Buckingham Palace and the fashionable Bond Street. Elegant modern interiors have beautiful details like handmade silk wallpaper, handcrafted Murano glass chandeliers, sleek black lacquered furniture and polished natural stone in the bathrooms. The Victorian touch is still seen in the hotel, about a reminder of the hotel’s origin when it emerged in 1857 as a club for travelling diplomats.