The White Turf horse raсes is a winter event that takes place every February in Sankt Moritz, where Swiss and international jockeys compete against each other on the frozen lake. So what makes this event so special? Here are some reasons from my point of view:
- Watching jockeys on race horses is very exciting; one jockey rides while the other is on skis or in the wagon behind the horse.
- Sankt Moritz turns into a winter wonderland in February. The event location is more than one can wish for in winter, with lots of snow, the mountain scenery, beautiful luxury hotels and lovely Swiss chalets.
- Live outdoor music
- Lots of food! There are tents with Asian, Swiss and German food all over the place. Hot wine (mulled wine I would say), champagne, coffee or tea – you name it! One can grab some food and eat it outside at a table (chairs are covered with warm and fluffy covers).
- Ticket prices start at only 20 Swiss francs and food prices are average for Switzerland.
- It is a children and dog friendly event
- Shopping opportunities are everywhere, be it jewelry and Swiss watches at the Gübelin tent, or Swiss souvenirs.
- Betting at White turf starts at 2 CHF, so everyone can afford to experience this kind of excitement.
- One can go for a walk in the picturesque city centre of Sankt Moritz or even go skiing before or after the event.
After the summer Green Turf horse races I went to last year (here is my post about it) and this year’s White Turf 2015, I’ve come to the conclusion that I should make it a tradition to attend these events yearly!