Located in Heimplatz square, the new extension provides additional exhibition space, making the Kunsthaus Zürich the largest and most dynamic art museum in Switzerland!
The Kunsthaus is now composed of four buildings from different eras: the Moser building that dates back to 1910, the Pfister building constructed in 1958, the Erwin Müller built in 1976 and finally the recent Chipperfield extension.
The monolithic shape of the facade creates a modern urban edge and becomes an integral part of the square, while the Jura limestone echoes the traditional public buildings in the area, allowing it to blend within the urban context. The stone is placed in regular intervals around the building and is arranged in vertical fins, protruding from the facade. It is also disrupted by large window openings which flood the interior spaces with light.
The large foyer on the ground floor welcomes the visitors and spans the full length of the building, creating a link between Heimplatz and the Garden of Art and housing all the public facilities such as the “Ballroom” event hall, the library and the boutique.